Blog Motto

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's true, than it takes a thousand words to paint a picture.
I'm into word-painting.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Recharge

            This week I learned the importance of recharging physically and spiritually. I have been trying to live a very active lifestyle. One of my least favorite things to do is to be in my apartment and consequently, I find every excuse to be out and about, doing things. I even came up with a way to track the way I was spending my time, and I’ve been working hard to minimize the time I spend doing non-productive things.

            I’ve been working especially hard in an effort to get ahead on my life. One day I was walking out of class when I was hit by a solid wall of fatigue. I decided to use my class break to take a twenty-minute nap and have a really meaningful scripture study. When I did, I was so much happier and much more effective for the rest of the day. I still checked off as many things on my to-do list as I had planned, but I felt happier and much more energetic the rest of the day.


            From this experience I’ve learned that it’s not only what you’re doing that is important, but how you do it also really counts. It’s so important to make sure that we are in our top forms, because then we can be more productive and efficient. I’m resolved to remember to watch my own energy levels and make sure that I’m always rested and spiritually ready to go so that I can always perform at my best.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your insights. I am a firm believer of having balance in life. There are times (like while you are attending college to make a better future for yourself and your family) when you will put some aspects of life on the back burner. I have also recently learned that you have to make (or take - you decide) time for yourself, because like you implied in your post, if you burn out, you're not really good for anything. Thanks again for sharing.

Unknown said...

I have seen the detriments of not taking time for your self. Eventually you run out of juice. You have to fill your own cup before you can help fill others. I try and take one afternoon a month and make it my day. This gives me something to look forward to and a set time to refill! I have seen it help my life so much!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

After King Benjamin delivered his discourse on the duties of a disciple, he cautioned his people about not becoming overwhelmed. The record states :

And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order. (Mosiah 4:27)

I love that your anecdote demonstrated this principle. You kept your eye on the prize (your goals), while maintaining a balance in the spiritual and physical aspects of your life. Thank you for the reminder.