I am currently an employee of BYU Dining Services. The other
day at work I was assigned to go visit one of our store’s suppliers to pick up
some food. As I was walking out of the door, one of the sub-supervisors in my
department asked me to check up on the status of two croissants that we were
supposed to have received earlier, and bring those croissants back if they were
finished. I nodded, figuring that the suppliers would know what she was talking
about, and headed over.
Upon
arriving at the supplier’s work area, I inquired into the croissants. I was
directed to the head of department, who appeared rather over-worked and stressed.
He glared at me and asked me what I was looking for. I replied that I was
looking for two croissants for my department, expecting that he would know
exactly what I was talking about. He didn’t. He got closer in my face and very
loudly informed me that our supplier sells six types of croissants, and asked
what type I was requesting. I had heard nothing about the croissants that day,
and could only whisper out that I honestly didn’t have any clue. He then
announced that I was no use to him, because without knowing which type of
croissant I needed, he couldn’t help me. He pivoted and strode off to the far weightier
matters of the BYU Dining Service than some minimum-wage student employee.
As I
walked away, I thought about how badly that communication had failed. I had
assumed that he would know the details of what was going on with the croissants,
and when that assumption backfired, I found myself in the embarrassing and
humbling situation of having to admit ignorance. It was an interesting
application to what we’ve been discussing in my MCOMM class, and it taught me
that it is really important to know one’s audience. Making assumptions is
risky, and it is far better to gather all of the details and present them in a
way that cannot be misunderstood, rather than only gather and present a
fraction of the necessary information and hope that another party can understand.
Misunderstanding and frustration is the result when we only present a part of
the whole. After this experience, I’m determined to do a better job of really
trying to understand all of the facts before I leap to trying to communicate to
others.
2 comments:
Even though I despised the grammar exam, I am actually very grateful for the things that we learn in MCOM. I don't know whether or not you are married, but in a marriage relationship communication is so important (in order for your life to awesome ;). I have been in similar situations to your experience many many times, and in each situation it would be safe to say that communication could have saved me - well at least most of the time.
I feel your pain brother. Ouch haha. Even though what happened to you didn't happen to me, it is a good lesson to me to not make assumptions and to be prepared to communicate effectively. Effective communication can be all the difference between shouts or a pleasant exchange.
Post a Comment