While it may not be the most original idea to post on some
kind of social media outlet about the LDS General Conference, I’m going to
continue the trend today. I feel that this week I learned a pretty profound
lesson about life that deserves to be shared.
My
lesson came as President Uchtdorf spoke. He took the theme of his talk from the
line in the Bible in which the Lord tells his apostles that one of them will
betray Him. They ask the question: “Lord, is it I?” President Uchtdorf then
crafted a very inspired message about looking inwards for blame, rather than
pointing fingers around us.
This
bothered me a little. While the cleanliness level in my room attests to the
fact that I am no perfectionist, I constantly struggle because I set extremely high
expectations for myself. I tend to think that I am a much better athlete,
scholar, missionary, roommate, and person than I actually am, and I get
frustrated when my performance never turns out as well as I anticipated. After
21 years of periodically feeling like I’ve never achieved my potential, I
occasionally wonder if my expectations are too high for myself—am I justified
in thinking that I really can be that good?
Then
President Uchtdorf said something that I loved. He said that if we are blind to
our mistakes, we are also blind to our divine potential. Conversely, if we keep
our sights on the unlimited potential that has been promised to us, then we
should be seeing our weaknesses. To me, this means that my thoughts are
justified. If we understand the true extent of what is possible for us to
achieve, then we ought to be discontent with mediocrity. When we see what we
can become, then we should not be complacent with where we are; we ought to
continue rising and climbing and becoming better and better on a daily basis.
Now I’m
not advocating for perfectionism—that can end up with a lot of broken hopes and
can often do more harm than good—but I am advocating for all of us to continue
on our individual journey to become better. The heights of complete
self-mastery might not be summited today or tomorrow, but we are doing
something wrong if we are not walking uphill.
Every day ought to be a new step for us in the right direction.
Inevitably, we will slip and fall, but that’s okay as long as we continue to
keep making another attempt. I’m determined to continue to climb upward and
search for more within myself as I try to become the man I imagine that I can
be, because I have an idea of what perfection is, and that perfection
eventually is attainable.

No comments:
Post a Comment