I think at root I am strategist. I
love nothing more than walking into a situation where I should be
disadvantaged, yet end up succeeding because of my plans and strategies. I like
to try to maximize the resources that I’ve been given to achieve something that
I shouldn’t be able to do. This way of thinking involves always having a plan,
and making sure that all of my actions are deliberate; that I know what I’m
doing, how to do it, and that I have a good reason for why I’m doing so.
Consequently,
there are few things that can throw me out of my comfort zone like acting
without any sort of vision or plan. That’s not easy to do. As we read in the
New Testament this week in my religion class, we talked about the example of
Phillip, who does exactly that. I found his story and the insights we discussed
together very inspiring to help me in those times in which I don’t hold all the
answers.
In
the story of Acts 8, Phillip is preaching to the people of Samaria, and having
great success. He’s baptizing and I’m sure enjoying himself. In the midst of
this awesome experience, he is called to go into the desert, with absolutely no
details of what he is supposed to do or why the Lord would take him out of the
place in which he is doing a lot of good. At this point, all of his plans have
been ruined, and if I were Phillip, I would probably be a little upset by the
command.
But
Phillip is a much better man than I, because the next verse begins with five
very powerful words:
“And
he arose and went”
This
story demonstrates is that most of the time, the Lord doesn’t give us all of
the details. Doing so would inhibit our agency; think of how much Phillip must
have learned by trying to figure out what he was supposed to do down in the
desert. It was also a great test of his faith because the Lord didn’t reveal to
him why he was being sent down there. But Phillip didn’t complain and didn’t
delay. He immediately did as the Lord had asked and was able to see success by
helping a very influential Ethiopian get baptized.
In
our lives there will be times when you and I will not know all of the details,
and the plans that we make will be irrelevant. We will be asked to do something
without knowing exactly how to do so or why we ought to. The story of Phillip
stands as a beacon to us in those times to remember that when we put out trust
in the Lord things will inevitably turn out alright as we patiently follow him.
The Lord called Phillip to the middle of the desert, and it just happened to be
the place where he could do the most good in baptizing the Ethiopian. When he
calls you and I into our own spiritual “deserts”, the result will be just as
wonderful. So keep your faith in Him and trust that His commands have a
purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment