Blog Motto

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's true, than it takes a thousand words to paint a picture.
I'm into word-painting.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"What Shall I Do?"


               I love the account in Acts chapter 2 of the sermon preached by Peter. The account has numerous passages that I find inspiring, such as the miracle of the speaking in several languages at the same time Peter’s bold declaration of truth, and the wonderful result of seeing nearly three thousand converts in one day. All of these accounts spark my faith and help me to understand that miracles are indeed possible if we put enough faith in the Lord, as Peter did.
                But perhaps the most touching part of this chapter is the response of the multitude. The account states that after hearing Peter’s message, they were “pricked in their heart” and then asked the following question:
“What shall we do?”

                When I read this verse, I get another call to humility. As a missionary, I used to study this chapter and search for a way I could teach like Peter and invoke such a response for my investigators. I knew that if I found someone who would ask that simple question—“what should I do?”—I had found someone who was ready for the blessings of the gospel. But much more important than whether or not I can get someone else to ask God for direction is whether or not I can find the necessary humility to plead for advice in such a simple way. When one asks Heavenly Father for such simple direction, it is a huge demonstration of faith and trust in His plan. It is a sign of humility, a sign that we genuinely want to do what He asks, and thus implies we are becoming converted. It’s a question we all ought to be asking on a daily basis, because the answer holds all of the secrets for our lasting peace, happiness, and eternal salvation. I’m determined to try better to have the humble attitude of these men and regularly ask “what shall I do?” from my Heavenly Father. I encourage all of you to do the same.


No comments: