Blog Motto

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's true, than it takes a thousand words to paint a picture.
I'm into word-painting.

Monday, April 6, 2015

The True Source of Joy


3 John 1:4 reads “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.” In this verse, John isn’t talking about his physical children, but rather those “children” who he helped come to a knowledge of the divinity of Jesus Christ. In other words, those he taught and baptized.

Today I can testify of the truth of that scriptures. You see, a little less than three years ago, I was received a white envelope in the mail that told me I had been called to serve in the Thailand Bangkok Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That letter started the most incredible journey of my life, as I entered the MTC and began learning the difficult Thai language, and then departed to serve in the wonderful country known as the “Land of Smiles”.
                Throughout that journey, I was called on again and again to sacrifice and dedicate more of myself to the helping the Thai people. It was a difficult mission filled with days of rejection and disappointment, but there were always peaks of pure joy when I felt like I was able to make a legitimate difference in someone’s life, to be an instrument in God’s hands to help one of his children. Throughout this entire process, one thing that kept me going was the idea that someday, the Thai people would be able to have the full blessings of the gospel—including temple blessings which were denied them due to geography.
                Yesterday was the greatest day of my life, as President Thomas S. Monson announced that the Thailand Bangkok Temple would be built. I was ecstatic then, and I’m still ecstatic today. Nothing can really bring my mood down. I’m just so happy to hear that those people who I knew, loved, and attempted to serve are doing well enough that God deems their efforts acceptable to Him. I’ve learned by experience what John teaches—the greatest joy comes from helping others come to Christ, and watching that relationship build even once your personal connection has faded.

To those of you who are looking for true joy, I testify that one of the most meaningful things you can ever do is to sacrifice and dedicate yourself to the cause of helping others receive the blessings of the gospel. In so doing, you will gain so much more than you give, and you will find a kind of joy that seeps down into your very soul.

No comments: