Blog Motto

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. If that's true, than it takes a thousand words to paint a picture.
I'm into word-painting.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Living in the Present


                 I don’t know about you, but I love studying about the topics of true conversion and having a mighty change of heart. I’m fascinated by the case studies that the scriptures present as they tell powerful stories about people’s ability to change. I think my attraction to the subject of conversion is based in my desire to become better, to reach higher and achieve true greatness. Therefore when someone like Paul—who is one of the best examples of a complete change of heart—talks, I listen. In New Testament class this week, we ventured into Philippians, and I was really impressed with the lecture that Paul gives in chapter three of that book. My favorite verse of that passage was Philippians 3:13, which reads:
                “…but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things that are before.”
                What an inspiring verse of scripture. Let’s not forget who is writing this. Paul once went by a different name, a name that was the terror of early Christians. He had gone out and given his very best effort to thwart the growth of the church of Jesus Christ, casting many into prison and sentencing many to death. If anyone had a past that could’ve haunted them, it was Paul. But he shares one glimpse into the way in which he was able to sustain such a dramatic conversion: he used his energy to look forward, not backward.
                You see, Paul could’ve spent a lot of energy fretting about the past. We all know that the past doesn’t get changed very easily, and sometimes it’s easy to get caught up thinking about former mistakes. Or maybe we get caught in the “Uncle Rico” effect and find ourselves reminiscing about the glory days that have since passed us by. It’s pretty natural to dwell on things that have already happened, whether good or bad. But doing so will not help us in the long run. Wasting our time and energy to dwell on the past cannot bring us joy, and we will forfeit blessings now by so doing. We have to learn to forgive and move on, or appreciate a great experience yet continue to throw ourselves into the effort of “lifting where westand”.
                Elder Holland once taught: “The past is to be learned from but not lived in. We look back to claim the embers from glowing experiences but not the ashes. And when we have learned what we need to learn and have brought with us the best that we have experienced, then we look ahead, we remember that faith is always pointed toward the future. Faith always has to do with blessings and truths and events that will yet be efficacious in our lives.”
                For Paul, living in bitter regret could’ve ruined him. I’m fairly certain he was most likely subjected to the same temptations to despair and abandon hope that we all face. But Paul actively chose to “[forget] those things which are behind”, no matter how painful they were. He chose to turn around and give the future his very best effort.

                For any out there who wish to be better, the lesson is clear. Live now, and look to the future, not the past. If we consistently find ourselves dwelling on the past, we will be forced to watch the past repeat itself. No, it’s far better to look forward with faith, knowing that God can see the end already, and He is far more interested in where we’re going than where we’ve been. I testify of His love and the completeness of His masterful plan. He really can make all of the difference in our lives if we change now and don’t look back.

No comments: