In
recent months, I’ve seen a trend that troubles me. Most of these incidents
happen in fast and testimony meetings, which in LDS culture is an interesting
sounding board from which one can gather many candid opinions on life. The
trend that is disturbing me is that everyone seems to talk often of struggles,
trials, and challenges in these meetings. I’ve heard many well-intentioned
people who want to be realistic about their lives get up and say things like
“Look, I know life is hard for you—it’s been hard for me—but the Gospel has
helped me through the hardships, and it can help you too.” The theme that I’ve
been hearing is this idea that life is a constant struggle, and left unchecked,
everyone would be wallowing in sorrow and depression. I am in no way trying to
criticize what’s been said over pulpits under the influence of the Spirit.
Several of these very testimonies have touched my heart. But there are also a
great many times when people have looked over the crowd and said “I know that
life is really rough for all of you” where I’ve started to squirm a little in
my seat. I’ll ask myself if life is really that hard for me, and I would
venture to respond negatively, and I don’t even consider myself that good at
being a happy person. Why does “life is hard for everyone” have to be the
fundamental premise of these testimonies? I’m starting to think it’s becoming a
cultural norm for us here at BYU to assume that it’s normal, natural, and
realistic to perpetually be struggling with despair. And that mindset worries
me.
In a
verse from 2 Corinthians 4, Paul beautifully teaches a concept I think directly
opposes this trend I’ve been seeing: “We are troubled on every side, yet not
distressed; we are perplexed but not in despair;” (emphasis mine)
When I think about these truths that Paul is
teaching, I can’t help but be filled with hope. I think that we are meant to be
hopeful. In fact, Preach My Gospel explains that through relying upon the
Atonement “we can be filled with joy, peace, and consolation.” (PMG, 52). But
yet it seems like there is a cultural idea that life will always be difficult,
turbulent, and draining. I’m not attempting to say that bad events don’t happen
in life—they do and they always will—but I’m saying that if we really
understand and believe Paul’s teachings, we ought to think twice before we
accept “life is hard” as a fixed truth. What’s wrong with the “life is hard”
mentality? I think it boils down to matter of perception.
What is “hard”? What is “easy”? You
and I might define the most recent calculus test we took as “hard”, while the
genius next to us who hardly studied and aced the test would say it was “easy”.
That difference can exist because at root, the words “hard” and “easy” are
words based in perception, not in reality. The exact same event can be
perceived as life-altering by one person yet be viewed as simply routine from a
different viewpoint. It’s all a matter of where you stand. And the
beautiful thing is, the perspective we take is largely determined by what we
know and how we apply what we know.
This is the essence of that 2nd
Corinthians scripture. Paul is trying to inspire hope by reminding us that
because of the glorious reality of the Atonement, the objective events of life
don’t have to make us subjectively unhappy. The facts that we got a low score
on a test doesn’t mean that we need to be beating ourselves up because of it. We
can still be single yet with patience not be despaired because our goal of
marriage hasn’t been fulfilled yet. We choose to take an eternal perspective,
at which point any bad day, no matter how low, seems rather inconsequential.
There’s a second eternal truth at
play here that also backs Paul’s teachings, found in 2 Nephi 2:27. That
scripture reads as follows: “Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh;
and all things are given them which are expedient unto man.” (my
emphasis added) Look at that underlined phrase for a second. “All things are
given them which are expedient unto man.” Given the scripture given just two
verses earlier (2 Nephi 2:25), which explains that “men are that they might
have joy”, we ought to understand that joy is something that God finds
“expedient”. In other words, we are promised that we will be given circumstances
which can lead to our happiness. What Lehi is teaching is that we don’t have to
wait for this semester to end before we can be happy, and we don’t have to wait
for a terrible day to end before we can feel peace. This verse is a divine
promise that at any given moment in time, we will have all of the tools
available to us with which to build joy. Conversely, we will also always be
given all of the ingredients for misery at any given moment of time. The
difference is that we get to choose what we make.
My point is this: there is a very
real difference between bad events in life and going through struggles. Thanks
to the agency Lehi explains in 2 Nephi 2 and the supplementing power of the
Atonement that Paul teaches in 2nd Corinthians, we can experience
setbacks in life and still see life as enjoyable. When we say something like
“life is hard for everyone”, we are assuming two things: (1) that everyone has
problems, which is true; and (2) that everyone is being brought down to despair
by those problems, which doesn’t have to be true. We need to get out of this
glass-half-empty mindset and start to rely upon the Savior more so that we can
smile more and really enjoy life as we are meant to.
Perhaps a personal example could
illustrate this. Last Monday, I was asked multiple times how my weekend had
gone. I could have easily answered:
“Terrible. My intramural basketball
team forfeited the rest of our season, I did poorer than expected on several
tests at the end of last week, I spent Valentine’s Day very much single and
alone, I had to work most of the day Saturday, I came down with a cold, and I
really didn’t get to enjoy any of the good weather.”
All of that would have been true. If
you look at the facts, all of those events happened. They were bad events. But
I subscribe to a simple philosophy: “No problem is so bad that whining about it
won’t make it worse.” I believe that despite what challenges I ran into last
weekend, there were still positives. So I would answer with something like
this:
“It was a good weekend. I got to go
to a great stake conference, spend some time relaxing, and play basketball for
a long time on Monday. It was a really good weekend.”
Friends, there is no need to
despair when going through life. There are bad things that happen in life, but
that doesn’t mean that life has to be hard. There is joy in every moment of
every day if we have the eyes to look for it. There is no need to assume that
life will always be difficult. Let’s build each other by talking about the
positive more, instead of only sharing the bad in life. Let’s take upon
ourselves an attitude of positivity and rejoice as we walk through this life
together.
1 comment:
Your positive attitude simply bursts from this post. Your voice and mindset really come through. I think people could really get to know you through your blog. Really fantastic, Aaron, I enjoy reading your work!
Post a Comment