Today I had an intramural basketball game. I’ll try to keep
a long story short, but we won, largely due to the effort of one of my
teammates in playing terrific defense and shutting down our opponent’s best
player. After the game, I was thinking about this friend of mine, and the
lifestyle that he embodies. You see, he’s not especially tall, not especially
strong, and doesn’t have the build of someone who looks like they should be an
incredible athlete. To be blunt, he drew the short straw in the genetic lottery
for athletic genes.
But the
thing about this friend of mine is how well he has managed his best resource:
his willpower. At some point in his life, he decided that he wanted to be good
at sports, and so he put in the time and effort to get into good shape. And on
the court, he knows he’s not the most talented, nor the most athletic, yet he
makes himself absolutely invaluable because he will work harder than anyone
else on the court. He leverages his athleticism to the maximum and runs circles
around everyone else, winning crucial hustle-plays, and as proved tonight,
making him a crucial cog on a winning team. He’s a terror to play against and
the best ally one could ever ask for in the sporting arena.
I want
to be him. I love the way in which this friend has decided what he wanted, and
done it. His formula is that simple; decide and then do, but yet the way in which
he executes his plans is masterful. It gives me hope to watch him flying around
the basketball court. For me, he embodies my hope that the mind really can win
over the protests of a lazy body, that deliberate change is possible, and that
I can achieve my goals.
After
reflecting on the show that Ethan put on tonight, I’ve been changed. There is a
higher level of living. It is possible to pivot course in a second,
deliberately decide to move in a different life direction and be forever changed.
How can you and I settle for anything less than greatness, when we know that
such greatness is inside of us? I’m going out to live deliberately, starting
now. That’s where true joy and true inner satisfaction is.
1 comment:
I've always heard that you should watch out for short basketball players - they are awesome players! I like your description: a terror to play against! lol!! Good for him!
Also, a good lesson learned - decide and go do it! Thanks!
Post a Comment