As a general rule, I hate
talking about myself. I’ve seen firsthand too many examples of people craving
attention and the bragging, showing off, trash-talking, and talking oneself up
that always accompanies it. I find it childish to see other people doing so,
and I hate it when I find myself bragging. For whatever reason, I just never
have really had a very strong desire for recognition. When I do well, I’m
comfortable enough to know in my heart that I did well, and it doesn’t really
matter to me who celebrates alongside me.
In my self-centered worldview,
I consider this aversion to bragging a positive thing, but when it comes down
to interview time, this trait of mine really stabs me in the back. I feel
awkward and uncomfortable when I am sitting in front of someone trying to play
up all of my strengths. Because it’s so unnatural for me, I often end up saying
a lot of dumb things in front of the very people I’m trying to impress.
1 comment:
I feel like there are lots of people who share the same struggle here. It is hard to play up your strengths. It's even hard for me and I feel like I talk about myself all the time. But I agree with what you said, if done tactfully, it makes all the difference.
Post a Comment