Though it hasn't been announced yet on this blog, I hope that most of my readers know by
now that I have been called to serve a two-year mission in the Thailand ,
Bangkok Mission. I've been hesitant to post much about it, because to be
honest, I have to fill two (and possibly three) talks at church on the subject.
That’s no cakewalk for me, so I have been keeping my thoughts on it private
until then. However, I since it is such a large part of my mind and my
thoughts, it really is a shame not to share some of it. Thus it is that I
introduce you to a new series on “Cool Air from A.C.”: Thai Tidbits. I hereby
promise to post little facts about Thailand in general or my mission specifically
and my thoughts on those facts, just to keep my readers up to speed.
However,
this is the inaugural post of the series, and with “Go Big or Go Home” as the
theme for this kick-off, I’m about to tackle the deep issue of the realization
of dreams. Strap in, because we are in for a long ride.
A mission. My
mission. As a Latter-day Saint young man, the very word “mission” by itself
evokes visions. Visions of white shirts and ties, of doors to be knocked on, of
farewells and homecomings, of nametags, of opening letters, of the Missionary Training Center ,
of exotic lands and exotic peoples. As you may have noticed, I tend to
romanticize a lot of things. (And yes I just used the word “Romanticize”
because I learned what it meant just this last semester and have been dying to
use it.) When I talk about my favorite athlete, I don’t mention rippling
muscles or primeval war cries, I wax poetically about his awe-inspiring control.
When I talk about my favorite sport, I don’t mention the sweat and grime that
comes from busting around the basketball court for an hour, I discuss the
moments of creativity and the beauty I see in them. So if the average LDS boy
can’t help but feel ‘caught up’ in the rush of excitement that a mission
embodies, imagine what I, with my overactive imagination and over-analytical
mind have felt.
You see, my
mission has been the focal point of my life since… Well, since I was born.
Although it’s cliché to say, I literally grew up singing “I Hope They Call Me
on a Mission ”.
Nearly every church lesson I ever had pointed in some way or another to the
point of my life when I would don a little card with the name “Elder Wilson” on
it—and if you think about it for a second, that is a ton of lessons, most
likely in the thousands. Whenever I made “life goals”, serving a mission was at
the top of the list. When someone asked me what it was that I was going to do
with my life, “serve a mission for my church” was in some way part of my reply.
This is all just to show you that my mission has been a part of me as long as I
can remember.
That’s a lie though, because in
fact, it has been more than just a part of me. It has defined me. I can
distinctly recall a moment in my life when I made a life-altering decision to
become more social, to break out of my comfort zone as a young teenager and
become—not the introvert that I naturally felt inclined to be—but “a people
person”. Perhaps such a thing would’ve happened as I grew up, perhaps it was a
natural decision that everyone has to make, but I attribute much of what has
happened in my life since that time to that decision; because at that time, I made
a conscious change to become someone better. What inspired that move by me?
Why, the realization that I would make a terrible missionary as the introvert
that I was, of course.
So what happens when an event which
you have spent your entire life preparing for suddenly stops becoming a dream
and starts being a reality? Is it even possible for such high expectations to
be fulfilled? I for one believe that the two years I spend in Thailand will be
everything I want, (in part because I am committed to putting in the effort to
make it that way), but of course such an answer is exactly what you would
expect from someone who hasn’t gotten to the reality yet. Perhaps this theme of
the realization of expectations might be a subject for this blog as my mission
looms closer and more dreams are realized. However, in one matter, I can definitively
say that my expectations have been fulfilled, even exceeded.
For me, one aspect that has always
been part of my ‘dream of a mission’ has been the mission president. I have a
clear mental picture of wise spiritual giant who is stern yet loving, and
passionate yet realistic—a leader who I will be eager to follow. Yesterday
evening, I had a dream-to-reality moment, because I was privileged to walk into
the MTC with my parents and meet President and Sister Senior, who on Thursday
are leaving the States, flying to Thailand , to taking over the
mission.
The experience was absolutely
wonderful—and I walked away very uplifted. The Seniors were everything I’d
hoped for and them some. They were funny, quickly breaking in the ice and
getting to know us and each other. There wasn’t an awkward moment in the half
hour we got to spend with them. President Senior especially took the lead role
in the conversation, and I honestly don’t know how I could have been more
impressed with the man. His manners were gracious—he said everything right—but
I could sense that he wasn’t one to idle words; sincerity was beneath every
compliment he bestowed, and even in something as simple as “it’s a pleasure to
meet you”, you could tell that he actually meant it. Yet he contrasted this
kindness with an abounding enthusiastic about his role, and seemed ready to
take the missionary work in Thailand
to a new level. From passing comments I could see that he was going to demand
my all for the work—there was a steely fire inside of him that promised
seriousness about our task to preach the gospel. But that was and is fine with
me; that’s the reason we will both be there. Why not give our all? Spirituality
abounded as well, and it was obvious that this man was an inspired servant of
the Lord. Honestly, I feel that if President Senior told me I needed to open up
a new area in the depths of heck, I would do it in a heartbeat.
A day later, I’m still in a little bit of a daze—could I
have gotten so lucky? I cannot wait to get over there. Despite the wonderful
plans I have for this summer, I would be fine leaving tomorrow. Any
apprehensions I had about Thailand
are quickly disappearing. I have a great leader to guide me along, and together
with him and the other elders in Thailand , we can do a great work. I’m
ready to go get to it!

1 comment:
President and Sister Senior were indeed impressive! You will be a great missionary in Thailand!
Post a Comment