We’ve all heard the generalization that some people are
math/science lovers and some are history/language lovers when it comes to
school. While I think that that way of thinking is a stereotype that is more often
wrong than right, it really fits me. I am NOT a science person. While I’ve
always performed well in my science classes, I don’t take joy in performing
chemistry experiments, peering through a microscope at tiny organisms, or
learning about the scientific process. This is a confession, but my current “Physical
Science” (that’s one of the GE science classes required for all you non-BYU
folk) section of my notebook has about an equal number of basketball plays and
pictures as notes. (Though in my defense, some of those are decorated chapter
titles, which need to get on the page anyways, right?)
Interestingly enough, I live with a bunch of engineer
majors, and one computer science genius. (I figure I can lump him in since the major
has "science" in the name). I for one cannot see why on earth they would voluntarily
take classes about atoms, although I respect them for doing so. It hardly came
as any surprise then, when our blender broke and we decided last night to take
it apart and then fix it.
Well,
at least that was the original plan. By the time the evening had finished, we
had a fairly good-sized crowd of neighbors in our kitchen watching us blow up
an old strand of Christmas lights one by one, using the blender’s electrical
circuits. It was actually pretty epic. And you know what? I actually learned a
lot about electricity and the mechanics of a blender, and I even enjoyed it!
No comments:
Post a Comment