Well, with one major exception: food. As anyone who knows me can attest, few people look as out of place anywhere as I do in the kitchen whilst attempting to cook. President Obama would be more comfortable at a Tea Party rally than I am when confronted with any kind of ingredient and a recipe. Last semester, I managed to overcome my inexperience by becoming rather adept at cooking frozen pizza's and ordering subway, and buying Frosted Flakes by the pound. No I'm serious--literally by the pound. It was during winter break that I realized that probably shouldn't be the long-term solution. So along with the New Year and the new semester came a resolution to attempt to cook for myself much more.
It's a great concept that I'm thrilled over. However, execution becomes a real problem for that goal, because intentions mean nothing to a burner. I found that out today with an experiment in Pork Chops. Pork Chops and mashed potatoes was my favorite food growing up, and recently Emma attempted to show me how to make it. The way she said it, it seemed foolproof. Full of innocence, I decided to attempt the dish tonight for dinner, but whatever my expectations, the curse of the kitchen found me tonight: the pork chops were burned, the sauce was overcooked as well, and I did not find the right consistency for the gravy. After my fortieth question to them, my roommates were outright chuckling at my misfortune.
Thankfully, they turned out decent. The kitchen might have had it's victories tonight, but I think that in the end the two of us ended up in a draw. I'll be back next week to tackle some a new dish, and then the never-ending struggle between me and the kitchen will resume in earnest.
1 comment:
Aaron is growing up!! Good for you!
Post a Comment